The Young Scientists Station of Brno Zoo is an organization of interest for the children and young people in the age from 5 to 18 years. Its seat is the Brno Zoo. People older than 18, adolescent members, favourers of the station and the Zoo are gathered into the group of collaborators. In 1956, the Hobby Club of young Biologists was established, which was replaced by the Young Scientists Station of the Brno Zoological Garden in 1978 (19th November). The main mission and aim of the Young Scientists Station is active use of free time of children and teenage youth by a form of attractive use of educational methods and means in various natural historical branches and using the zoo as such. By this activity the station tries to facilitate eliminating negative influences acting on the young generation.
Activity of the station is articulated into 7 special groups. These days the dates of the special groups are every day in the afternoon and in Saturday and Sunday even in the morning. Groups are led gratis by heads, who are mostly former members of the station.
Special groups of the Young Scientists Station in Brno Zoo
- playful and creative field-club focused on animals of Brno Zoo, games, competitions and creative activities
Once per month: Sat 9–11 am, children 5–7 years
- breeding club, focused on the nature of different continents and climatic zones and the keeping of small mammals, reptiles and birds of the Young Scientists Station
Once per week: Monday 3:30–5:00 pm, children 8–12 years
- ecological club, focused on the nature of different continents, the fauna of biomes, the global biodiversity and ecology and the keeping of small domestic animals of the Young Scientists Station.
Once per week: Tue 3:30–5:00 pm, children 8–12 years
- focused on the keeping of small domestic mammals, reptiles, amphibians and birds of the Young Scientists Station
Once per week: Wednesday 4:00–5:30 pm, children 6–9 years
- basic work and training of alpacas, a care of their health
Once per week: Thu 3–5 pm, children 12–20 years
- focused on guiding in Brno Zoo, information about animals
Once per fortnight: Sun 9–12 am, children 10–18 years; head: Jan Hrdlička
„Low Threshold“ Club
- focused on children with sociocultural disadvantage
Opening hours: every week on Tuesday from 3:30 to 6 pm, free entrance